Here's my thoughts on blogging. . . After reading what KSL News had to say last night at 10:00 it made me ponder and scroll back through my posting topics and things I have said. I have taken all precautions they mentioned, except going private. There are a few local places I have named which may have been a mistake, but never have I mentioned city where we live or schools, employment, etc.
I think it's a big mistake to post your "personal profile". I think it is critical to adjust your "settings" so that your blog is not listed on blogger. You also don't want it to be searched using a search engine like google. Also make sure your readers are asked to type the word verification when leaving a comment, this will reduce spam comments. As a test, I went into my google search engine and I searched for my name. My name only appeared from comments I have left on other blogs that have not taken these precautions. I ask all of you to please do this to protect others who comment on your blog.
KSL also said that we shouldn't leave pics of our children - well then, what is the point of blogging??? I guess I could still journal without pictures, but I can keep a journal numerous other ways.
Blogging is my form of creativity and a hobby I enjoy. I don't hang with friends and this is one way I keep in touch. I would hate to stop. But should I go private??? Please vote to the left in my sidebar. . .and please comment with your thoughts.



9 comments:
So apparantly I missed the news last night but am kind of freaking out just reading what you wrote. I feel the same way about blogging it is fun to see what everyone is up to in a non stocking kind of way. I might need your help making my blog not being able to be searched ???
Hey I also watched KSL and I did change a few things on my blog except for going PRIVATE!! That the BIG question what to do!!
I love blogging and I would like to print mine into a book what an awesome JOURNAL!!! I can't wait to see what you do. As for me I am still THINKING!!!
GOOD LUCK... I will be watching!!!
So, I decided to set our blog on private before the KSL thing came out. Someone took pictures off my blog and put them on their facebook account. Luckily I knew the person and I was okay with it...but it made me think how easy it is for anyone to steal stuff from our blogs. Our last name was no where to be found on our blog, no employment, and no personal profile, but I figured if someone wanted to find us bad enough they could. Then I had another thought...what if someone learned where my kids went to school? Here are plenty of pics for them and they would know their first name...enough to maybe kidnap them? I couldn't get that thought out of my head so I made our blog private. That way I don't have to be as careful in what I want to say and share. I have older relatives and people who don't want to create an account who want to view our blog...but you can just re-invite them every 30 days to view your blog without having an account.
Okay, WOW, sorry about the novel!
Good Luck....I thought about it FOREVER!!
So I am totally clueless, didn't watch the news last night. What was up? James was really wierd about me doing the blogging, but eventually gave in. So...not sure!
after you post i had to look up the news report last night. i went through my blog and made sure everything was good, but i still don't want to go private. someone made a comment that there are millions of blogs so the chance of something happening on yours is slim, i mean it still could happen but....oh well, i love to blog and see others too!! thanks for this post cori!
meg :0)
I saw that last night also, and it had me freaked out all day today. I was thinking the same things as you. I am thinking of just getting rid of my blog. But I also started it to journal and so my parents could check up on the kids. So I'm torn, but really nothing is really worth risking for your childs safety.
Ok...so I did the same thing and looked up the news. You are great to be informing all of us. I also did the same and went through and changed some things on my blog. I so agree with the above statements and after talking to James more, he said the same thing, most of the people who have problems are problems with people they know and that don't like them or have a family issue, etc. He actually said he does not hear much AT ALL about blogs and as long as you are being careful, it would suck to stop just because of the freaks out there! You have such a wonderful blog and it would be sad if you stopped! You are great!
I chose to just not think about it. ha,ha,ha. I say, just be careful. Everything we do in life is "Dangerous." I love mine, and cant wait to put it into a book. I love that I am keeping track of the little things so that I can remember.
Love the new background.
Honestly, I think you just need to be careful of what kind of pictures you put on there. Maybe no pictures of tubs (your kids are kind of old for those pictures anyway), or other stuff where creepies might be looking at it.
Post a Comment